Pages

June 4, 2013

IWSG #9 ~ June 2013

First Wednesday of Every Month
This group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. I've met and made friends with many cool writers and have been able to share my feelings and worries about the process of writing without fear of judgement. You don't have to feel insecure to join either. You can join and give support to those of us who are having those moments of wanting to give up or those days where we're just straight up freaking out. Either way, it's definitely fun and worth it!

I've entered two flash fiction contests, which take place every Friday at the Flash Friday blog. I've missed a couple of the contests, but I'm thinking about making my own photo prompts and writing about those for practice. I really think flash fiction is very difficult - there was one story that couldn't be shorter or longer than 100 words. One hundred words for an entire story to be told! Yikes! 

My hope is this will be good practice for me and allow my writing skills to develop. On the Flash Friday blog, there's a winner plus honorable mentions. Then the following Monday another entry is chosen to be analyzed with what worked and made the story strong in so few words. I think this could really help me get a feel for what makes a good scene. 

How about you? Anything new in your writing world? :D

3 comments:

  1. I need to join this group. I have huge freak out moments. Especially in editing mode. The only thing that makes me feel better is reading and editing another line (and sometimes stuffing my face with mini-marshmallows-current craving). These flash fiction adventures probably will be helpful with writing query letters too. Stupid query letters. Can't wait to read more of your stories. You have a great voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great group! I've been in it for a year now, and there's so much support to give and receive. Ugh, I dread writing a query letter, lol. :/ I haven't made it far enough yet to the editing stage, but I can imagine it's the most difficult part?

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm excited to write more! :D

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!