Pages

February 15, 2014

Book Blogger Love-a-Thon ~ Interview


The Book Blogger Love-a-Thon is an event where we can share our love for our fellow book bloggers! The event is hosted by Alexa at Alexa Loves Books and Katelyn at Kate's Tales of Books and Bands.

1. How did you come up with your blog name?

My blog name came about from my favorite movie of all time - Donnie Darko. I've always liked the expression "pearl of a girl" (I've used this for my Hotmail address and Twitter handle). I thought about naming my blog "Pearl of a Girl" but love Donnie Darko so much! My favorite books are kind of dark like the movie, so I thought "Donnie Darko Girl" would be a better fit for the kind of books I wanted to showcase.

2. What genre/subject matter do you read and review most on your blog? 

I'm super into demons & zombies and love reading apocalyptic, dystopian, horror, and paranormal books the most. I read and review YA & NA books in those genres. Contemporary YA & NA draw me in from time to time - especially when it's dealing with mental health issues like addiction.

3. Name the 3 books you're excited for in 2014!

There are so many it's hard to narrow them down to just three. But here goes!

UNHINGED by A.G. Howard - When I read SPLINTERED last year, I didn't realize it was the beginning of a series. As soon as I found out about UNHINGED'S existence, I have been so stoked to get my hands on a copy, which I just did last weekend!

LOVE LETTERS TO THE DEAD by Ava Dellaira - This is a book I think I'll connect with on many levels. A girl is assigned to write a letter to a dead person, and she chooses Kurt Cobain who died young like her sister did. She works through her grief by writing more letters to more of the dead which leads to her eventually writing about her feelings with regard to her sister's death.

The continuation of the ADDICTED TO YOU series by Krista Ritchie & Becca Ritchie - God, I love this series SO much! Lily and Lo are struggling with their separate yet entwined addictions - Lily is addicted to sex while Lo is addicted to alcohol. The story of these two facing their addictions together has to be one of the most raw and powerfully moving stories I've ever read.

4. Where in the world are you blogging from? 

Ohio, so basically a corn field. ;) Actually, while there is an awful lot of corn around here, there's also some cool stuff, too, like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame up in Cleveland, Kings Island & Cedar Point, the Bengals, and of course, the Buckeyes. :)

5. Tell us - how did you get into blogging in the first place? 

A few years ago, my husband suggested to me I start up a blog, and I tried but couldn't figure out how to set one up. Epic fail. >.< Plus I just didn't have the courage like I do now. Two years ago, he encouraged me to try again, and I finally did it. Now he wishes I wasn't as into it as I am, lol.

6. Apart from reading, what other hobbies/interests do you have?

I love to write stories and poems. I'm working on three different books right now. 0.0

I'm a huge music lover and go to as many concerts as I can afford! Last fall, I finally got to go to the Austin City Limits music festival and had a blast! I sing, hum, or whistle ALL the time. 

I'm obsessed with the 60's - the music, the culture, the fashion, lol. 

I love dyeing my hair in "unnatural" colors, well, unnatural unless you're an anime character, lol. My hair has gone from purple to pink to turquoise. :D 

I love tattoos - I have four so far and am working on sleeves. 

7. If you were stuck on a deserted island, which books would you bring with you?

Witch by Christopher Pike
Walking Dead graphic novels - as many as I can
Let's Pretend That Didn't Happen by Jenny Lawson
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
The Addicted to You series
Splintered & Unhinged

8. If you were stuck in some dangerous situation (like a fire, a sinking ship, a warzone), which book boy or girl would you want to come save you? 

Michonne from The Walking Dead hands down. (She's in the graphic novels, too). She's smart, strong, and levelheaded...not to mention I have a total girl crush on her! 

9. You're attending a party with you friends. Suddenly, the DJ changes the song and it's YOUR song - what song would that be?

"Kill the DJ" by Green Day LOL

10. What 3 movies would you love to have your favorite author write into books, or vice versa? 

Donnie Darko of course! I would LOVE it if that movie was a book! 

50 First Dates

Star Trek: Into Darkness

10 comments:

  1. Great to read more about you! I haven't read Splintered, but I really, really want to.
    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Esty! It's so good - I hope you get a chance to read it very soon, then we can talk about it! :D

      Delete
  2. Okay, first I just have to tell you how much I love your blog name! Donnie Darko is one of my absolute favorite movies! It's just so good! Man, I need to watch that again soon!

    Great answers to the questions, too! I would love to read a Donnie Darko book! That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! I was just thinking I need to see it again soon, too, lol. I've always wanted Donnie Darko to be a book - man, wouldn't that be so cool?! There's so much great dialogue in there! :D

      Delete
  3. It is cool that Donnie Darko is your favorite book.Your blog got my attention because of the name. My daughter loves that movie too. She writes at "I like liking things"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love for Donnie Darko to be a book - it'd be a great one! Probably my fave of all time, LOL! I was hoping Donnie Darko Girl would be a catchy name for a blog - guess it is. :) What's the web address your daughter writes at? I'd like to check it out. :)

      Delete
  4. A lot of this I already knew but there is some new stuff too! I have 5 tattoos total though no one really ever sees them and believe me if I didn't have an office job I would be rocking 'unnatural' hair color too. I've had every hair color possible, but purple will always be my fav. I've always loved the pic of you with pink hair. Green Day = Awesome. I <3 your answers!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool - I didn't know you had tattoos! For so many years I've wanted to dye my hair whatever color I wanted but couldn't also due to work. So since I stay at home, I figured now would be a great time before I end up going back to work one day.

      Really, you've had your hair all different colors! Do you have any photos 'cause I'd love to see them! I love the pink hair, too. I'm definitely going back to that once I get bored with turquoise. :) I love Green Day SOOOO much. It's cool we're both fans! Thank you, Jaclyn! :D

      Delete
  5. What an awesome post!! I love getting to know the person behind the blog a little bit better :) Don't worry I was also super overwhelmed when I first started my blog and now it's just a part of my life!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Chene! I like getting a chance to know the person behind the blog, too. :D Blogging has become like an addiction to me, lol. It might be a little too much of a part of my life, haha. :D

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!